Friday 8 April 2022

Critical Reflection

 Module learning:

From the start of the trimester till now, I have seen good changes in myself. I consider myself as timid when it comes to presentation. I was not born in English speaking family; therefore, it can be quite a hassle for me to conduct presentation and write a formal technical report in English. Thanks to this module, the professor especially, I’m able to gain self-confidence and report writing skills along the way. During the mock presentation, I highly relied on scripts, this led me to feel nervous and lose my train of thoughts. When I had this anxiety in me, I tend no to have any eye contacts, I would only look that one person instead. I knew that I was not well prepared for my mock presentation. I am the person open to wide range of feedbacks, I took everyone’s feedback as my learning pointer. Hence, this did not make me feel demoralised, my groupmates were also encouraging me until the actual presentation. We conducted multiple dry runs for presentation. This is to ensure that we don’t stutter on the actual one. Indeed, this enabled me to speak more confidently and smoothly, able to project my voice clearly on the actual presentation. The fact that the actual presentation had more audience than the mock presentation. I would say that I truly enjoy the process of how we have started on our technical report writing. Back in polytechnics, we did the similar module as effective communications, but the professor did not go in depth on the technical report writing. In this module, prof Brad taught us on how to write the finest technical report. He guided us on our language skills such as not to use first or second person, how to do citations of a website or articles using the 7th edition APA style He has been consistently giving constructive feedbacks on our reports. From the start till now, I have acquired the proper technic in writing a report.

Project Learning

From this project learning, I have learnt how to be a good team player and have good communication skills. In a group of four, we had to work together as a team. As we know that this project is highest weightage in this module. Hence, we had to work together to achieve a better grade. The fact that four of us are from different background, that makes us able to give wider range of ideas due to the different industries we had experienced in. This project allows me to acquire technical knowledge due to the several researches we had done. We then split the project into various parts and assigned each part. After our individual research, we combine all the ideas into the word document and help one another to add on more information if required. From there I was able to learn more technical terms in the project, this gave me a clear direction on how to present the group’s idea during presentation. During the presentation, I found that I was able to convey the concise and concrete ideas. I know as an audience, I would not want the presentation to be draggy. Hence, I would want to make the presentation more interesting and engaging. I am truly thankful to be part of The Four Brothers team, just like what’s stated in the group title. Not only did we just work as groupmates, we also treated each other like brothers, helping and backing up each other when one falls. We fell hard, we got up hard too. We treated every feedback as learning lesson to us. This eventually made us present better when it comes to formal presentation. This does not make us stop learning when this module ends, in fact I believe there are much in depth presentation skills coming towards us.

 

2 comments:

  1. Dear Chin Wai,

    Thank you for this detailed critical reflection. I appreciate that you considered both assginment areas while focusing on various aspects of the work you did, the challenges you had and the skills achieved. Your focus on your evolving confidence and writing skills is noteworthy, and I'm certain you made good progress.

    All in all, in this essay you've written with fair fluency.

    Best wishes as you continue your learning journey!

    Brad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Prof,

      Its pleased to have you as our module lecturer.

      Wishing you all the best

      Delete

Critical Reflection

  Module learning: From the start of the trimester till now, I have seen good changes in myself. I consider myself as timid when it comes ...